For over 130 years, the Covington Fire Department has been serving the Village of Covington. The department was organized on December 29, 1880, with the first meeting held January 3, 1881. DeWitt C. Shellabarger was the first Chief and George W. Speelman was the first Chief Engineer. Fifteen Chiefs have served the department, including current Chief, C. William (Bill) Westfall. Today’s department consists of the Chief, one Assistant Chief, one Captain, four Lieutenants and 23 firefighters.
Our current apparatus includes Engine 3 - a 2003 Pierce Saber pumper/tanker, Engine 1 - a 1995 Pierce Saber pumper/tanker, Tanker 2 - a 2006 Pierce Tanker, Rescue 6 - a 1998 Pierce Rescue Truck, and Grass 8 - a 2003 Chevrolet Grass Rig. Also maintained by the department, strictly for parade use, is a 1927 Biederman pumper. It is a prime example of one of the early pieces of motorized equipment of days gone by.
The Covington Fire Department is a private corporation contracted to provide fire service to the Village of Covington, to a portion of Newberry Township, and to assist Troy in Concord Township and Piqua in Washington Township. We also participate with neighboring departments with AMAR (Automatic Mutual Aid Response), as well as area-wide mutual aid agreements, assisting each other whenever the need arises.
Training is a primary focus for the Covington Fire Department. Our members participate in at least one training session per month. We take pride in our duties and strive to perform our job to the best of our ability. We are continually upgrading our training facilities and equipment to provide the best service possible. In 2009 we moved into our new facility picture above. This facility, with 15,000 square feet of space, features a fully, functioning, two-story training tower which is outfitted for training in areas like search and rescue. Our building also features a 32-seat training room with classroom style seating and multimedia system to allow for classroom training.